Why I'm NOT a Feminist

As you have read in my previous post, I do not label myself as a feminist. The story behind this... I do not have one. I simply believe that I am not a feminist because I do not 100% fit into the definition of a feminist. According to Dictionary.com, feminist: an advocate of social, political, legal, and economic rights for women to equal those to men. 

By creating this blog, am I an advocate? Yes! However, I do not believe that women are fully equal to men (Keep in mind, this specific blog post is not factual but opinionated). I stand to this belief because I grew up in a traditional, Christian family and was raised to society's gender role expectations. I wore pink and fluffy annoying dresses and stockings. I was told that I could not play with males and was given dolls, princesses, and make-up, and even tea parties to play with. I was told to wash the dishes, sweep, and attempt to cook and told to allow my brother or my dad to take out the trash, wash the car, and do yard work. 

Opening a jar or a milk carton were challenges I should allow my brother or dad to do. Anything involving me lifting up or possibly "breaking a fingernail" results in the services of my brother or dad. Women cook, clean, and do all the house chores and Men take out the trash and watch football. Do I totally agree with that? Absolutely not! But once you are raised a certain way, it is hard to change that belief. I want to be a great wife and mother to my future husband and children; however, that title comes along with soooo many duties and labor that goes unnoticed and under-appreciated.

I love my mom and I know she loves us. Mothers are the backbone of the families and of this world! I can't wait to become one someday. I must say looking forward to unpaid AND paid labor with no nights off sounds bittersweet. In the meantime, I should be preparing myself to know how to cook, clean, and prepare the house as a woman should. Sometimes it feels nice to please your husband and get things in the house taken care of. So do I believe that women are equal to men? No. Should they? Yes... but will they ever? This is a question that only women of future generations can answer #QTNA





Side note: Please do not believe that my mother also raised me to be submissive and dependent. Along with being in a traditional family I was taught to be an independent woman and not to rely on any man OR woman... but that's another post (coming soon).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why We Should Say "Physical Distancing"

I Run (for Ahmaud Arbery)

The Chronicles of Racial Battle Fatigue (2017)