Scheduling Your Travel, Girl! Part 3





Destinations
          • Paris, France (top left & top middle)
          • Venice, Italy (top right)
          • New York City, New York (middle left)
          • Washington D.C. (middle right & bottom)


How to Schedule Your Travels

I had many questions about finding the time to take trips. Although I waited until after I graduated to explore the world, you don't have to! Planning a trip can be as detailed or as minimum as you like. Thank God my trip to Paris & Venice were planned with my university and all I had to do was pay and go. However, New York and Washington D.C. were not. It took setting the dates, saving money, booking hotels, etc. in order to make it happen. Here are some tips on scheduling your trips:

1. Pick a month you believe is the best time for you to go!
Image result for calendar of months and seasonsWhether it is the best time in your life, work schedule, or convenient time for anyone else going with you on the trip, pick a month or even a week (if you want to be more specific) out of the calendar to travel to your destination place. For example, I was NOT about to travel to New York City during the colder months (November through March) and ended up going during a friend's Fall Break in the month of October. It was still chilly none of the less but I had moved apartments in August, started a new job in September, and was in need of a break coming in October so it worked out perfect. Another example was the trip to Washington D.C. for the Women's March. Now this trip was very last minute. I do not believe I submitted my requested time off within the 3 weeks notice BUT I talked to my boss(es) and found someone to cover my shift(s) and off I went! Which leads to...

2. Be sure you have permission from your job to take trips.
My jobs need at least 3 weeks notice of any requested time off. If I ever take last minute trips, I talk to my managers about it beforehand. This helps them know your reasoning and that you are dedicated to your job but need a break every once in awhile. If you plan on making traveling a hobby, it's best to let them know that as well. Some jobs are understanding while others are not so be sure to use your best judgment when it comes to informing your job about your traveling.

3. Look up festivals, concerts, groups, etc. taking place during the year.
Image result for music festivals in 2017
This is a fun thought! Imagine your favorite artist is going to New York during a time that is perfect for you. Buy the ticket and spend the weekend or a couple of days there in that town/city. Concert ticket sales are usually made in advance so you do have time to plan your hotel stay, transportation, activities, etc. You may even run into that artist while out and about doing tourist things. Doing this also may pinpoint your destination if you are having trouble deciding where to go. Additionally, one may consider to travel with strangers through travel groups such as Travel Noire, InterExchange, and many more.

4. Contact family or friends who live in exciting places!
This is how I have been able to do a lot of my traveling. This is a great way to bond and catch up with family members and friends who you may not have seen in a long time. It also saves you money on hotel stay and even food. **Secret destination in the making: I have a friend who models and acts in Los Angeles, California and have contacted her about what month, etc. works for the both of us so we both can take the time take off work and plan out our activities together.** Your family or friends are locals in their locations but sometimes even as a local, you forget how cool your city is until you are showing someone else around. That makes the experience even more fulfilling that you as the tourist are not only learning something new but you both get the opportunity of exploring and trying new things!

5. Check your financial status during the time of planning as well as when the travel will take place.
Planning a trip without any money at all and planning a trip around the time when you have other financial responsibilities are never the best ideas. Remember when I said to be money smart in Part 2 of the Travel, Girl Series? That applies when it comes to scheduling your trips as well. A group of friends and I were planning a big trip around the time that I was moving apartments and was having a lot of financial responsibility. Sadly, we had to reschedule the trip to an allotted time that was best for all of us. If you know you have bills and other commitments, be sure to plan accordingly. Work extra shifts and save your money are options to consider to ensure you will be financially stable enough for the trip.



I hope these were easy, helpful and strategic tips to assist you in your future travel plans!
You better Travel, Girl!
...
or Guy LOL




Continue commenting and sending in your travel questions for more tips.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Run (for Ahmaud Arbery)

The Chronicles of Racial Battle Fatigue (2017)

Why We Should Say "Physical Distancing"