Women's March Madness

I was going to name this March Mad MESS but it wasn't THAT extremely badImage may contain: 1 person, crowd and outdoor            Image may contain: one or more people, crowd, sky and outdoor 


Image may contain: one or more people and hat

On Saturday, January 21, 2007, I attended the Women's March on Washington, D.C.
Image may contain: 2 people, crowd, sky and outdoor

Here are my thoughts:
As soon as the opportunity came, I hopped on it without hesitation for multiple reasons. 1. I am a feminist, 2. I always wanted to go to D.C. and was planning on going later this year, and 3. because uniting together for all women is something I stand for 100%. However after evaluating my decision, I was wishing I would have put more thought behind it. 

I started seeing other feminist and activists stand against going to the Women's March not only in Washington but sister marches all over the world as well. Mostly because they feel like history is repeating itself. Quick history lesson: the feminist movement has a rep of being "a white woman's movement" and I don't blame them for viewing it as that... honestly, it is/was. For many years, black women and other women of color were excluded from the feminist movement and went unrecognized. The fact that the problems white women faced were different from women of color left both sides feeling like we are fighting for two different things; however, women of color wanted to collaborate and said "we are all still women" but still found themselves marginalized {not only from our patriarchal society but by other women}.

Many people started pointing out the fact that white women were not there (supportive) for black women when we were weeping in the streets over our dead, unarmed, and black brothers, sisters, and children. They were certainly not there in this many numbers when we fought against police brutality in Black Lives Matter protests which was also participated and organized all over the world, so why should we be there together now for a Women's March?? I definitely get it. One famous activist, Johnetta Elzie, published this poem on Teen Vogue after the march concluded and the backlash started. I like the poem because it's authentic and true. A reporter did an interview with another woman or activist who's photo went viral after the march. Her sign read "Don't Forget: White Women Voted for Trump". I definitely agreed with both women's perspectives and opinions. However, does that mean we are being divisive? My concern with white women being involved in movements that concern black women necessary to what we are trying accomplish with unity?

Anyway, my thoughts and newly recurring concerns had me questioning my decision. I am ALL for uniting and standing together...  
Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people standing, crowd and outdoor
REGARDLESS if {the all inclusive} "they" was with us during the BLM movement protests or not. Disagreeing with the march could be seen as a message of defiance and division to the opposition yet in many ways it could truly be that, depending on which perspective you're coming from or what you believe in when it comes to many entities of intersectionality working together. From my perspective, you can disagree with the picture or image of something but still agree with the original idea/purpose or message of something. For example, the founders of the protest did a great job trying to be inclusive of everyone and not leave anyone out. However, there was still an issue with the fact that majority of the people there were for their own agendas and not embracing one another as their sister or fellow woman. Yes! I felt as though many women who were there was not for the overall purpose of the march. When different celebrities went up and had different speeches, some of the women would not clap or show gratitude or respect to certain things the speakers were saying. I saw the un-appreciation on many listeners' facial expressions and body language. I simply rolled my eyes and remained in my lane.

People who were counter/anti-protesters were also present at the march by telling Blacks to go back to Africa and "Women, go home and take care of your children instead of being at this stupid march". I thought I heard the N-word but I believe God really blocked my ears from hearing what was really said because it probably would have fired something up in me. I was also upset at the fact they were doing it in the name of Christianity. The person who I assumed to be the leader of the group wore a shirt with scriptures on it that justified his statements. As a Christian, I felt as though if they did not agree, they should have been out there praying with people instead of condemning us and telling us we were all going to Hell. I felt spiritual attacks against my ethnicity, religion, and femininity but I quickly prayed to myself and brushed it off. A mad MESS with the Metro, crowds, the negative energies, etc. is the perfect word to describe it but I'm still glad I went.

Image may contain: one or more people, crowd and indoor


Although there were some things that did not go my way or how I'd think they would go, I still found ways of enjoying myself. I was on the lookout for fellow blogger buds, my family members, and friends who came to the march from different parts of the country. Unfortunately, those reunions did not happen but I gained new acquaintances in return. I also got to see D.C. and have a new understanding on my calling from God when it comes to my involvement in politics. The most exciting part of the Women's March was the opportunity to hear and watch celebrities and activists speak on many issues involving women's rights. My favorite speech was from Ashley Judd about being a Nasty Woman. You can watch her speech here. And even though there were some disparities in how the message was conveyed, I was glad to hear celebrities come from different perspectives and talked about various issues that resonated with every individual out there. I loved and hated the eagerness of the crowd to march... myself included but speakers were still talking and they did not get to commerce the march until they were all done. However, we started the march ourselves (mostly because we were rushed and worried about not getting to our buses in enough time). It was cold and wet out by the end of the night but we managed to FINALLY get to the mall and get some warm food in our system and prepared to get on the bus on the way home.

Overall, it was a great experience and I am glad I got the opportunity to go. Once we got back from the trip, the Women's March received global attention and the backlash started. I am not shocked other women who were not at the march was confused and upset about the march itself. Many women feel as though it was pointless and that our rights were not in jeopardy. I think the confusion comes in because people do not understand or know what all is affected when you take away Planned Parenthood, testing, etc. It may not affect us all directly AT FIRST but I am not even worried about the now but for the future, my daughter and her daughter, etc. I hope that some day people will become more educated on what all is at risk and understand the overall, bigger picture: the future.

Image may contain: one or more people, crowd and outdoor




I want to thank Kelly Tours and Women & Gender Studies Department, Dr. Disney, and all other parties involved in making that trip happen. Check out more pictures of the march on my Facebook page, Ayana the Blogger. Also check out my periscope videos on my thoughts of the march by following me on Twitter @EmpowerinBW.


































Feel free to check out my Amway store at www.amway.com/AyanaCrawford 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why We Should Say "Physical Distancing"

I Run (for Ahmaud Arbery)

The Chronicles of Racial Battle Fatigue (2017)