Things I Learned from Lent 2016



I decided to challenge myself this year for Lent. I chose to not consume chocolate and not listen to any secular music for 40 days and nights. (Side note: if you do not know or understand what Lent is, please check out http://www.upperroom.org/lent101) Although I couldn't COMPLETELY get rid of secular music and do that consistently every year, that was not too much of a challenge for me. On the contrary, I thought I'd never survive without chocolate... BUT GOD!

I DID IT!!!! I'm so proud of myself. NOW I must not devour every piece of chocolate I see. I don't need any cavities lol. Here are a few things I learned from abstaining from one of my favorite things:

1. I am more disciplined than I thought. I told myself that I needed chocolate in order to survive but as the days went by the first couple weeks, I found that it wasn't as hard as I thought. Now around Week 3 or 21 days, I was starting to have Withdraw. Valentine's Day came and I found myself surrounded by chocolate! I woke up, there were 3 areas where chocolate was sitting; some from my birthday in January that I never finished and some were gifts for the Love Day. I could not take it! But I told myself that I could do it and I believed in that.

2. Changing my mindset takes believing, having patience and the act of "change". I had to tell myself that I could survive without chocolate in my life. I did not want to believe it but when I started taking deep breaths, passing on free chocolate, and substituting the feeling of missing it, I learned to believe it. Believing it eventually changed my mindset on chocolate and now I do not eat it every day but have cherished the moments when I do eat it. I appreciate it more.

3. Feelings do not dominate my actions. I blog when I feel like blogging, I take naps because I feel like napping, I eat chocolate because I feel like eating chocolate, etc. I came to the realization that I let my feelings take control of my actions. Usually, I'll use the excuse of "I can't help it" or "that's just how I am/do" but never had this realization before. If I fight how I feel or choose to wait to follow my feelings, the outcome is usually greater and more productive I become. Since Lent, I have been teaching myself to evaluate my actions and question whether this is a feeling or something else motivating me.

4. Waiting is sooo much better in the end. As I said before, I learned to appreciate chocolate more than I did eating it every day. I just let anticipation build up and counted down the last 2 weeks of Lent. Get this, although I counted down, I didn't eat any chocolate until two days after Lent ended! I was so shocked but during the time, I was tired, busy, and it wasn't on my mind. I guess I am a sucka for cherishing the moment.

5. Be careful who and what you listen to. Okay, so this whole post I talk about chocolate but the music aspect teaches me something as well: You cannot listen to everything. I typically listen to Neo-Soul, Rap, Hip-Hop, and Indie music (weird combo right?). I had to begin listening to Neo-Soul more because I began really listening and analyzing rap lyrics and found myself disagreeing with most of what they were talking about. I love the vibes of Neo-Soul and rap music that has a deep message behind it. I was operating more in the flesh listening to this music though and was battling with my spirit. Every Lent I discover new gospel music that talks about God and a nice beat too. Sometimes I forget that I am listening to Gospel but I must listen to the message more and "guard my heart".

This year's Lent taught me some interesting lessons about myself and the world around me. Next year, I plan on challenging myself once again. I am not sure with what exactly but I hope to grow and mature from whatever I choose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why We Should Say "Physical Distancing"

I Run (for Ahmaud Arbery)

The Chronicles of Racial Battle Fatigue (2017)