Happy Women's Month!!!



Image result for excited little girl gif

OMG!!! It's March which means one of my favorite months, Women's Month!

With that said, I would like to dedicate this post to my hope and expectations of women and the women's movement in the future.

I want to first start by thanking everyone again for reading and sharing my posts! I really appreciate it!

Now, let's get right into it. I am a little satisfied with the direction we are headed in as a society. More and more women are stepping up into leadership, speaking up, and standing out for what is right! (At least that's what it seems like, of course) Many women are uplifting and empowering each other. Although they do not make it their platform (i.e. me and Empowering For the Future being my platform), I appreciate seeing the various posts and hearing comments throughout the day of how we love each other's outfits, how we converse in various random interactions, and how social media is re-evaluating stigmas and double standards.

I am a subscriber to many other social justice platforms such as YWCA, Organizing for Action, Women's March, and so many others. I am also looking for various government and nonprofit organizations who serve clients and different sectors that may or may not include a focus on women. We find more and more that women are getting paid less than a man. Even in the news today, we found out that a lead actress in a Netflix Original show gets paid less than her male counterpart... the show is about HER! I cannot wait for the day when women get paid the same or even more than a man especially if she has more experience, more degrees, and more expertise/talent than her other counterparts.

I also hope that in the future that more women will see each other as a sister and not one to have a fault with or compete with. I do not want to see girl fight videos go viral anymore. I just saw a Facebook post mention that we should be each other's keeper. "I am my Sister's Keeper" is a popular saying and I grew up saying this. But I never showed it in my actions. The idea that I am supposed to be stronger than and for my sister is a lot of added pressure for anyone seeking to empower another fellow woman. I hope that we can progress into the days where Iyahna Vanzant stated "I am not my Sister's Keeper... I am my Sister". We should embrace each other as an equal woman/family member and not someone who has to constantly lift up. Empathizing with one another and then treating each other how we want to be treated, as a fellow sister, is so much more compelling and empowering for both individuals. I am my Sister.

And lastly, one thing I hope we can accomplish in the near future is the ability to stand up as the Queens we are especially when it comes to romantic relationships. I asked a question on Twitter the other day about this: "Is it that men are not treating women like Queens or are women not acting like it?" I only received 3 responses and "Men not Treating Women like Queens" won. I agree with either way the verdict may have laid. Men tend to think about temporary feelings that impact women's long-term emotions (catch what I'm not saying). But women altogether need to hold themselves to a higher standard. Hopefully, the empowerment of women by women and less need to compete & compare will help us get to the day to witness this.

I know all of this is easier said than done and I believe that although we have progressed, we still have a long way to go. I am still hopeful that one of my expectations will have dramatic improvements in the next 10 years... I wish I could say days but our society does not work like that. 


What are your expectations for the women's movement in America??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why We Should Say "Physical Distancing"

I Run (for Ahmaud Arbery)

The Chronicles of Racial Battle Fatigue (2017)