Women in Theater course

Since finals are over, I have to reflect on one of my favorite Women and Gender Studies' classes I was in this semester. I took the Women in Theater course here at Winthrop University and learned so much!

We had to read a play for every class; some were online and some were not. For each unit, we read three plays that related to that unit or what she, my professor, called "Thought Clusters". We discussed Self & Identity, Sex & Sexuality, Reflections of War, Women in Social Services, and Adaptations. 

Every play opened the door for learning. They included diversity, controversy, surreal, mystical, funny, historic, unique, and all about women. I thoroughly enjoyed the class because it touched on aspects of theater and women's issues. So I decided to make a list of my favorite plays that I encourage you all to find and read for leisure (I would number them but they all are good). Please let me know if you read these plays and want to share your thoughts or experiences with them. I will try my best to pick at least one play from each section but like I said, they all are good! Enjoy!

1.) Top Girls Marlene is head of an employment agency where she helps other women find jobs. She has the Alpha Female personality and focuses on nothing but work. Her sister on the other hand is raising a rebellious daughter who plots on killing her... Read to find out what happens. (Warning: this play is not in chronological order but works backwards; the end explains it all)

2.) How I Learned to Drive Li'l Bit struggles getting along with members of her family except with her Uncle Peck who teaches her how to "drive". Is it right or wrong to love or be loved? This play is truly one of my favorites! (Not in order but for a valid reason)

3.) In the Next Room (or the vibrator play) Mrs. Givings is the wife of Dr. Givings whose practice focuses on the psychological, emotional, and physical effects of Hysteria (must understand the history of this condition; Psych Major comes important). Mrs. Daldry, one of his patients, and Mrs. Givings both have changed lives in result of Dr.Givings new tool, the vibrator! (Another one of my all time favorites)

4.) Machinal Wow! This play is very chaotic and very machine-like but I love it! Based off a true story, Helen longs for a life far from the traditional woman that society enforces on her. Stepping out in the workplace and under men, being a wife, a mother, and the perfect daughter all overwhelm her... until she has a lover who shares his experiences and battles that he faced once in a war. Inspired by one of his stories, she makes a decision that forever changes her life. (Look up "Ruth Synder" or watch the play online )

5.) Ruined Set in Congo, Mama Nadi, Sophie, and Salima learn life lessons about war: war outside of the brothel that has kept them safe and war on their bodies. Based off true events and very symbolic times throughout the plays.

So I will say number 1 was under Self & Identity, numbers 2 and 3 were Sex & Sexuality, and 4 was Social Services/Workplace, and 5 being on Reflections of War. If you know that you do not have time or access to some of these plays and they sound very interesting to you, feel free to comment or e-mail about getting the full details and plot of the plays.

Note: All plays are by female playwrights... some are Genius :-)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Chronicles of Racial Battle Fatigue (2017)

Why We Should Say "Physical Distancing"

I Run (for Ahmaud Arbery)