Interracial-LY Common

I had a great number of requests to do a post about my thoughts on interracial dating. Now there wasn't any specific details or questions for me to cover so I will just share my thoughts...

Image result for interracial couples holding hands

I'm all here for interracial dating and relationships especially (meaning almost limited to) when it comes to Black Women & White Men couples.You can ask any of my friends who are witnesses to me secretly clapping or screaming when I see a BWWM couple in public. Why may you ask?

According to society, upper-middle class, straight, Christian, white men are the ones in power. They "win" in all intersections within Intersectionality. In other words, they have the power and influence in class, sexuality, gender, race, religion, etc. So it is special when a white man is in a relationship with a black woman. A black woman is seen as the most oppressed in our racial binary, meaning black & white, American culture. Being black and female are two strikes in our society. Black is not a privilege and neither is being a woman. A white man is putting himself at risk of losing respect and control from his fellow "power" companions and possibly lose credit (lack of a better word) from society which believes, subliminally, that people should date within their race.

Now, I am not siding or defending a white man because he'll date a black woman. JUST BECAUSE YOU DATE OUTSIDE OF YOUR RACE DOESN'T PROVE OR JUSTIFY THAT YOU ARE NOT RACIST! I believe there are some men out there who are racist and date a woman to validate something or to say "I like YOU but not your kind." That's not right!

Neither do I feel as though black women are scared, unsupportive, or undependable of black men; I cannot and do not speak for all black women when I say this. Attraction is something you cannot control; it's just something you feel. Attraction also plays a vital role in what preferences you have for the opposite sex.

Personally, I do not discriminate. I have dated and talked to white guys in my life as well as black guys. I tend to have cycles or periods of only crushing on or looking at white men (just being honest). It's called "white boy fever" and it's real! However, I will STRONGLY note these days with everything going on in the world and my increase thirst, hunger, and desire to grow in my relationship with God, He's the only one that has my attention right now. "Looking" is a form of lusting which leads to fantasizing, etc. Therefore, I have not had time to "look" at anything but my Bible right now LOL (but I'm soooo serious).

So although I am a civil rights and social justice activist/seeker, do I still picture myself dating a white guy, yes!
...
Now he would have to be HELLA "woke" and supportive of my activism work (and supportive in general) but he does have some criteria to meet before he steps to me (A LOT of criteria). That's with any and everyone though! But with white guys, in general, with everything going on in society, I can only imagine what things could happen when more and more interracial couples go out in public. I am no stranger to the looks, the sighs, the slick comments, etc. that people give interracial couples and I and tend to smile or roll my eyes and say "so what!" HOWEVER, I will not belittle or ignore the violence and absurd things that are said and done to these couples who share and express their love in public. I encourage people who choose to interracial date to be cautious especially in today's society. For those of you who disagree with interracial coupling...

Why? Because love is love; God is love! And you're attracted to who you are attracted to! From Angela & Shawn in "Boy Meets World" to Zoe & Ashton on "Guess Who" to Ryan Gosling & Eva Mendez to Kimye, why is it a problem to interracially date? (Side note: I believe my interracial liking sparked from Boy Meets World... just an observation.) If anything, I encourage interracial dating to prove to society that you don't have to date within your race. In a sense, make the racist and the haters mad with your love! Spread and share love, no matter what color your skin is or where you stand in America or anywhere in the world! We have a lot more in common as humans than you realize!

Check out this article about a woman who shares her experience with talking to others about her interracial relationship. 



If you want to know more about my experience or viewpoint on specific interracial couples, feel free to ask by e-mailing or commenting. I am even open to making this a blog series! Let me know!!




sincereLY,
AMC




P.S. Check out this article of famous BWWM celebrity couples!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Chronicles of Racial Battle Fatigue (2017)

I Run (for Ahmaud Arbery)

Why We Should Say "Physical Distancing"