woMan to bE

I had a dream about a woman.
She was intriguing.
She had on a long skirt, no bra, hair as natural as can be.
As she walked closer, I can smell the strong aroma of patchouli...
with a little hint of weed.
A hippie... a black one at that!
She had her guitar and rocked back and forth.
The closer she got to me, the more I could see
That this woman wasn't just a woman but this woman was me.

She had scars on her body, up and down her arms and neck.
Signs of pain she suffered and ounces of regret.
She walked in confidence but something was not right.
She slurred her vocabulary words and vowels as if they were tight.
She wanted to be cool, she wanted to be hip,
but all those things were natural for she was trying to fit in.

When we finally got face to face, I saw she was in a dark place.
The things she battled with, some not all her own.
Soon the smile dissipates and the anger did set.
"How was she this angry?" It could not be with me.
My eyes did not prepare me for what I would see.

She looked past me like she was on a mission...
A mission to find her calling and her purpose with her permission.
I realized soon she would learn that this life was not hers
Alone. The feelings of being Lost, Blinded, Fooled, Deceived, Bitter...
Taking place of her needs.

It is in our most vulnerable state that we find ourselves looking for the thing that went missing.
The things that were stolen from us.
The things that were innocent.

In a panic, she ran searching for her hope that she lost.
In a panic, she ran and ran and ran... running from or for something.
I cannot tell what had gone.
In a panic, she came, she went and left.

Then, out of nowhere was a light...
Bright light.
Blinding my vision but opening my eyes to another woman, not in a disguise.

She was pure and beautiful.
Seemingly renewed.
Any pain she once felt, was gone and rebuked.
Her skin was smooth, her smile was real,
she was never worried of falling,
when she danced with the wind.
She had the same compassionate and love I felt from the hippie but,
something was different.
It was like she found what had been lost and found someone else in it.

"Who was it?" This love. That made her dance.
I so longed for it and wanted her help.
She was far yet so close. It was hard to describe.
I just knew this woman was familiar and stood before my eyes.
She looked like she was hopeful, joyous, and sweet...
Although the fire around her was hard to compete.

What was this fire and why did it intrigue me so well?
The light, the fire, the wind, and her,
They all were so compelling.
I could not believe this sight before my eyes,
The flame that had been ignited inside that stirred.
Oh gee!
I was too focused on the fire that I didn't realize...
That the woman
is me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Chronicles of Racial Battle Fatigue (2017)

I Run (for Ahmaud Arbery)

Why We Should Say "Physical Distancing"